100 Interesting Questions and Answers
These are 100 interesting Questions and Answers to ask Kerala PSC, it’s not just anyhow questions but questions that are friendly, questions that will make job seekers feel good. Most candidates don’t actually know how to ask questions, they might end up sending a wrong signal with their questions and answers unknowingly. Especially when you are meeting with someone for the first and you are trying to make a good impression, your question can turn the person off. Kerala PSC HSST English online examination Answer Key with 100 Questions and Answers going to published now. Category number 377/2015. Paper Code 32/2016/OL. Medium of Questions English and Date of Test is 11/03/2016. So if you don’t want to ruin that first impression, these are some interesting questions to ask Kerala PSC without embarrassing them.
100 Interesting Questions To Ask Kerala PSC examinations
1. In the year 1856, Basel Mission started the first English Medium School in Malabar at which place ?
2. Sivayogi Vilasom, the Monthly Journal was founded by :
A. Brahmananda Sivayogi
C. Pandit K.P. Karuppan
D. Thycaud Ayya Vaikundar
3. Uttara Rama Charitham translated into Malayalam by :
A. Chathu Kutty Mannadiyar
B. Kerala Varma Valiya Koil Thampuran
C. Kochunni Thampuran
D. Munshi Rama Kurup
Answer.Chathu Kutty Mannadiyar
4. ‘In the cause of the people’ is the Autobiography of :
A. T.R. Krishna Swami Ayyar
B. Swami Ananda Theerthar
C. A.K. Gopalan
D. Velukutty Arayan
Answer. A.K. Gopalan
5. In which year Thakazhy’s Novel ‘Kayar’ got Jnanapeeth Award ?
6. Which date is observed as Telangana Foundation Day ?
A. 30th June
B. 31st July
C. 2nd June
D. 2nd July
Answer. 2nd June
7. Which one of the following is a system developed by ISRO to provide navigational support to Indian Railway ?
8. Who has been appointed as the Secretary of the Department of Administrative reforms in India ?
A. Alok Rewat
B. Devendra Chaudary
C. Feros Shah Mehta
D. None of these
Answer. Devendra Chaudary
9. Who among the following received Vikram Sarabhai Memorial Award 2015 ?
A. MYS Prasad
B. K. Radhakrishnan
C. Prof. U.R. Rao
D. G.N. Ramachandran
Answer. MYS Prasad
10. Which country is venue for the first ever Asian Youth Athletic Championship – 2015 ?
11. Research studies that use ‘narratives’ to describe their observations are called :
A. Analytical research
B. Survey research
C. Correlational research
D. Qualitative research
Answer. Qualitative research
12. In teaching, the skill of ‘Set Induction’ means :
A. To introduce the topic in an appropriate way
B. To lecture with clarity
C. To encourage pupil-participation
D. To change the stimulus
Answer. To introduce the topic in an appropriate way
13. Which of the following is a non-probability sampling ?
A. Stratified random sampling
B. Quota sampling
C. Systematic sampling
D. Cluster sampling
14. Teachers primary responsibility lies in :
A. Coverage of the content
B. Updating students records
C. Make the students disciplined
D. Planning educational experiences
Answer. Planning educational experiences
15. Generalization is the process of :
A. Organizing the data
B. Analyzing the data
C. Drawing conclusions from the data
D. Application of the findings
Answer. Application of the findings
16. Which is the basis of your priority for teaching profession ?
A. Attractive Salary
B. Service Security
C. Social Prestige
D. Opportunity to work for children
Answer. Opportunity to work for children
17. ‘Experimentation’ in research is :
A. Uncontrolled manipulation
B. Uncontrolled measurement
C. Controlled observation
D. Controlled verification
Answer. Controlled observation
18. ‘Anything can be taught to any child at any stage of development in an intellectually honest way’ is a gist of the
statement made by :
A. Maria Montessori
B. Jerome S. Bruner
C. B.F. Skinner
Answer. Jerome S. Bruner
19. Internal Criticism in historical research is for evaluating :
100 Questions Kerala PSC Staff Nurse Needs To Answer Immediately
20. Which of the roles listed below is not relevant to the parent-teacher association ?
A. Maintenance of discipline
B. Enhancing infra-structural facilities
C. Conduct of co-curricular programmes
D. Evaluation of scholastic attainment of pupils
Answer. Evaluation of scholastic attainment of pupils
21. The Directive Principles of State Policy was adopted in the Indian Constitution from :
22. Which Amendment was challenged in Kesavananda Bharati case ?
23. The principle of Res-judicata is not applied in the writ of :
A. Habeas Corpus
B. Quo Warranto
D. All the above
Answer. Habeas Corpus
24. The right to privacy is protected under which Article of the Constitution of India ?
A. Article 14
B. Article 20
C. Article 19
D. Article 21
Answer. Article 21
25. The National Food Security Act came into force on :
A. 15th July 2013
B. 15th August 2013
C. 5th July 2013
D. 15th August 2014
Answer. 5th July 2013
26. An authority need not disclose information under S.8 of the Right to Information Act, 2005 if :
A. it violates the legal right of any person
B. it affects the process of investigation
C. it causes loss or injury to any person
D. it affects reputation of any person
Answer. it affects the process of investigation
27. The Committee that should be constituted by every employer of a workplace under S.4 of the Protection of
Women against Sexual Harassment at Workplace Act is :
A. Disciplinary Committee
B. Anti-harassment Committee
C. Anti-sexual Harassment Committee
D. Internal Complaints Committee
Answer. Internal Complaints Committee
28. Agenda 21 is an outcome of __________ .
A. Rio Earth Summit 1992
B. Kyoto Protocol
C. World Development Report 2002
D. UN Declaration
Answer. Rio Earth Summit 1992
29. Under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, the right to work is __________ .
A. Fundamental right
B. Legal right
C. Not a legal right
D. Political right
Answer. Legal right
30. The contingency fund in a state is operated by __________ .
A. Chief Minister
B. Council of Ministers
D. Prime Minister
31. In Canterbury Tales, Chaucer presents the Wife of Bath as a depiction of __________ .
32. Which text by Antonio Gramsci inspired Stuart Hall ?
A. The Prison Diaries
B. The Princess Diaries
C. The Marxism Diaries
D. The Motorcycle Diaries
Answer. The Prison Diaries
33. Hester wore the ‘scarlet letter’ as :
A. Religious Observance
B. A Memento of her relationship with the Pastor
C. A Mark of Sexual Transgression
D. A Token of Dimmesdale’s Guilt
Answer. A Mark of Sexual Transgression
34. What according to Coleridge is “essentially vital” and struggles “to idealize and unify” ?
A. Secondary Imagination
B. Primary Imagination
D. None of these
Answer. Secondary Imagination
35. What is a poem called whose first letters of each line spell out a word ?
36. “Death has a hundred hands and walks by a thousand ways”, are the words of the Chorus in which play ?
B. Oedipus at Colonus
C. The Winter’s Tale
D. Murder in the Cathedral
Answer. Murder in the Cathedral
37. What is the theme of “The Blessed Damozel” ?
B. Undying Love
C. Family Feud
Answer. Undying Love
38. Name the Shakespearean play with an epilogue :
A. Twelfth Night
B. Henry IV
D. The Tempest
Answer. The Tempest
39. According to Edward Said, ‘the orient’ is portrayed in Western novels, media and art work as __________ .
A. Too focused on historical facts and accurately portraying the experience of life in the region
B. A place prone to liberal democracy and revolutionary feminism
C. An accurate depiction of the modern day Middle East and Asia
D. Lost in the past, prone to despotic rule and plagued by ‘odd’ cultural traditions
Answer. An accurate depiction of the modern day Middle East and Asia
40. What did Sophia leave for Tom at the inn at Upton ?
A. Her shawl
B. Her muff
C. Her stays
D. Her petticoat
Answer. Her muff
41. The subplot of Hayavadana is centred around __________ .
A. The man with the horse’s head
B. The dolls
C. The love triangle
D. The Bhagavata
Answer. The man with the horse’s head
42. “Panopticism” is the title of a chapter in a well-known book by :
A. Roman Jakobson
B. Jacques Lacan
C. Michel Foucault
D. Jacques Derrida
Answer. Michel Foucault
43. When Act I of Waiting for Godot opens, Estragon is :
B. Trying to pull his boot off
C. Making castles in the dirt
D. Staring off into space
Answer. Trying to pull his boot off
44. The idea that people are weighed down by the roles they play is introduced by William Wordsworth in
Immortality Ode, based on the concept of __________ .
A. Theatrum mundi
B. Spiritus mundi
C. Transit Gloria mundi
D. Lectio brevior
Answer. Theatrum mundi
45. Who was sent by Polonius to spy on Laertes in Paris ?
46. Who termed the present environmental crisis as a crisis of our imagination ?
A. Lawrence Buell
B. Henry Thoreau
C. Richard Adams
D. Aldo Leopold
Answer. Henry Thoreau
47. During the Middle English period, many words were borrowed from __________ .
A. Celtic and Norse
B. Sanskrit and Pali
C. Latin and French
D. Greek and Latin
Answer. Latin and French
48. Wordsworth’s primary concern in the Lyrical Ballads was __________ .
A. the language of poetry
B. the subject matter of poetry
C. the rejection of neoclassical principles
D. to formulate a new genre of poetry
Answer. the language of poetry
49. What aspect of the main character is mirrored in the structure of The Golden Note Book ?
A. The complexity of her looks
B. The simplicity of her looks
C. The simplicity of her life
D. The complexity of her life
Answer. The complexity of her life
50. According to Algernon in The Importance of Being Earnest, what is the essence of romance ?
51. What is meant by ‘language transfer’ ?
A. The carry over of rules of the Second language syntax, phonology, or semantic system to the mother tongue in
B. The carry over of rules of the mother tongue syntax, phonology, or semantic system to the Second language in
C. The vocabulary and sentence structure transferred haphazardly during Second language acquisition from any other
language accessed by the learner
D. Knowledge generated in the development of a learner on account of other domains of knowledge
Answer. The vocabulary and sentence structure transferred haphazardly during Second language acquisition from any other language accessed by the learner
52. What is considered as the central principle of literary criticism in Sanskrit Literature ?
53. Which angel does Satan trick by disguising himself as a cherub ?
54. The Grecian Urn is called “cold pastoral” because :
A. it has remained unchanged till now
B. it is mysterious
C. it is made of marble
D. all of these
Answer. all of these
55. In which section of The Waste Land does Tiresias appear ?
A. What the Thunder Said
B. A Game of Chess
C. The Fire Sermon
D. The Burial of the Dead
Answer. The Fire Sermon
56. “Shakespeare approximates the remote and familiarizes the wonderful”. Whose words are these ?
A. Samuel Johnson
B. John Dryden
C. William Wordsworth
D. Samuel Coleridge
Answer. Samuel Johnson
57. The term for describing someone’s death as “someone is no more” or that “someone has breathed his/her last”
is __________ .
58. What does Noam Chomsky’s theory of language development emphasize ?
A. Children’s cognitive abilities
B. Learning and conditioning principles
C. Innate structures and biological mechanisms
D. The language support system provided by parents
Answer. Innate structures and biological mechanisms
59. Shelly used which stanza form in “Ode to the West Wind” ?
A. Rime Royal
B. Terza Rima
C. Ottava Rima
D. Spenserian Stanza
Answer. Terza Rima
60. From which poem is the line, “The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity” taken
A. The Waste Land
B. Tintern Abbey
C. The Second Coming
D. Prayer for My Daughter
Answer. The Second Coming
61. The term ‘Peripeteia’ means __________ .
A. Constancy in the fortune of the hero
B. Change in the fortune of the hero from bad to good
C. Fluctuations occurring in the fortunes of the hero
D. Change in the fortune of the hero from good to bad
Answer. Fluctuations occurring in the fortunes of the hero
62. Who is the native chief who leads the revolt against Brutus Jones in Emperor Jones ?
63. ‘Spenser writ no language’. Who said this ?
B. Dr. Johnson
C. Ben Jonson
D. Matthew Arnold
Answer. Ben Jonson
64. The theme of “Dejection : An Ode” is :
A. unhappy marriage
B. loss of poetic imagination
C. broken friendship
D. inability to bear defeat
Answer. loss of poetic imagination
65. The poem in which Yeats uses the famous “stone metaphor” is __________ .
A. Among School Children
B. Second Coming
C. Sailing to Byzantium
D. Eastern 1916
Answer. Eastern 1916
66. In which essay did Matthew Arnold regarded poetry as “a criticism of life under the conditions fixed for such
criticism by the laws of poetic truth and poetic beauty” ?
A. Culture and Anarchy
B. Essays in Criticism
C. The Study of Poetry
D. Literature and Dogma
Answer. The Study of Poetry
67. Who in “My Last Duchess” is said to have made the Duchess’ painting ?
A. George Vasari
B. Fra Pandolf
C. Duke of Ferrari
D. Not mentioned
Answer. Fra Pandolf
68. What poison did Claudius pour into the ear of Hamlet’s father to kill him ?
69. What was the original title of Pride and Prejudice ?
A. ‘Last Impressions’
B. ‘False Impressions’
C. ‘First Impressions’
D. ‘True Impressions’
Answer. ‘First Impressions’
70. Harold Nicholson described which poet as ‘Very yellow and glum. Perfect manners’ ?
A. E.E. Cummings
B. T.S. Eliot
C. John Greenleaf Whittier
D. Walt Whitman
Answer. T.S. Eliot
71. What are the two levels of language referred to by the term ‘duality’ ?
A. Morphology and Syntax
B. Structure and Use
C. Sound and Meaning
D. Phonetics and Phonology
Answer. Sound and Meaning
72. Which influential American poet was born in Long Island in 1819 ?
A. Emily Dickinson
B. Paul Dunbar
C. John Greenleaf Whittier
D. Walt Whitman
Answer. Walt Whitman
73. In “Archetypes of Literature” Northrope Frye equates ‘autumn’ to __________ .
74. What does Michael do for a living in The Mayor of Casterbridge ?
A. An auctioneer
B. A sailor
C. A turnip-hoer
D. A hay-trusser
Answer. A hay-trusser
75. “Ecriture” means __________ .
76. The author of Nation and Narration is :
A. Edward Said
B. Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak
C. Frantz Fanon
D. Homi Bhabha
Answer. Homi Bhabha
77. __________ refers to word formation.
78. Who amongst the following belongs to the group of radical feminists ?
A. Helene Cixous
B. Monique Wittig
C. Simone de Beauvoir
D. Luce Irigaray
Answer. Monique Wittig
79. What is “the beast” in Lord of the Flies ?
A. The pig
B. The boar’s head
C. The parachutist
D. The skull
Answer. The parachutist
80. In which figure of speech is there a play on the various meanings of a word ?
C. Transferred Epithet
81. The essay “Compulsory Heterosexuality and Lesbian Existence” was written by __________ .
A. Adrienne Rich
B. Judith Butler
C. Diana Fuss
D. Annamarie Jagose
Answer. Adrienne Rich
82. “The pitfalls of national consciousness” is an essay by __________ .
A. Benedict Anderson
B. Benita Parry
C. Frantz Fanon
D. Partha Chatterjee
Answer. Frantz Fanon
83. Who defined Postmodern as “incredulity towards metanarratives” ?
A. Jacques Lacan
B. Gilles Deleuze
C. Jean Baudrillard
D. Jean-Francois Lyotard
Answer. Jean-Francois Lyotard
84. In his study of metaphor and metonymy, Roman Jakobson borrowed Saussure’s “syntagm versus paradigm”
which stands for __________ and __________ respectively.
A. Particular and General
B. Separation and Connection
C. Selection and Combination
D. None of these
Answer. Selection and Combination
85. Which of the following poets has written a poem on a tree in their garden house at Baugmaree ?
A. Sarojini Naidu
B. Toru Dutt
C. Meena Alexander
D. Kamala Das
Answer. Toru Dutt
86. Who supports Women’s Rights in Sons and Lovers ?
A. Mrs. Morel
D. Clara Dawes
Answer. Mrs. Morel
87. For the Elizabethan audience, the Duchess of Malfi marrying her steward, Antonio, was a triple offence. Which
of the following is not one ?
A. She was a widow marrying a second time
B. She married on her own outside the Church
C. She married beneath her status in disregard of ‘degree’
D. She married against the wishes of her brothers who almost acted like her guardians
Answer. She married on her own outside the Church
88. Where does young Catherine leave Thrushcross Grange for the first time to ?
A. Wuthering Heights
B. The nearby village
C. The fairy caves at Penistone Crags
Answer. The fairy caves at Penistone Crags
89. How does John Donne describe the death of virtuous people in “A Valediction : Forbidding Mourning” ?
90. What was the preliminary version of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man known as ?
A. Stephen Hero
B. Bloom’s Blunder
C. A Day in the life of Stephen Dedalus
D. The Dead
Answer. Stephen Hero
91. Who is the author of the two major works An Introduction to Language and Language ?
A. Leonard Bloomfield
B. Bernard Bloch
C. Noam Chomsky
D. Ferdinand de Saussure
Answer. Leonard Bloomfield
92. Where does The Glass Menagerie take place ?
B. New York
D. St. Louis
Answer. St. Louis
93. The meaning of the term ‘episteme’ is __________ .
94. Which of the following is not a form of new Historicist criticism ?
A. Genealogy of Patriarchal Discourse
B. Archaeology of Social Constructs
C. Poststructural recovery of authorial intent
D. Cultural Materialism
Answer. Poststructural recovery of authorial intent
95. According to Ralph Emerson, what do great works of art teach us ?
A. Truly great works of art inspire everyone
B. There are few true geniuses in the world
C. Art is a matter of personal taste
D. Obey your spontaneous impression
Answer. Obey your spontaneous impression
96. Who called Francis Bacon, “the wisest, the brightest and the meanest of mankind” ?
A. Dr. Johnson
B. Ben Jonson
C. Alexander Pope
D. John Dryden
Answer. Alexander Pope
97. Whom does “an embarrassed peacock, quite unused to its plumes” refer to ?
A. Toru Dutt
B. Sarojini Naidu
C. Emily Bronte
D. Emily Dickinson
Answer. Emily Dickinson
98. What does Caroline see her youngest son’s affliction as in The Sound and the Fury ?
A. As a blessing
B. As God’s will
C. As part of life
D. As a curse on the family
Answer. As a curse on the family
99. The period in The Bluest Eye corresponds to __________ .
A. the Vietnam war and the violence against the poor
B. World War II and the Nazi regime’s ideas of beauty
C. the Reconstruction era and the legacy of slavery
D. Reagan’s racism and his war against America’s black poor
Answer. World War II and the Nazi regime’s ideas of beauty
100. The winner of Nobel Prize for Literature in 2014 is __________ .
A. Richard Flanagan
B. Patrick Modiano
C. Alice Munro
D. Elanor Catton
Answer. Patrick Modiano